2019-2020 Catalog

Federal and State Assistance Programs (U.S.)

Types of Assistance Programs

PELL Grants

The Federal Pell Grant is a Federal grant which does not need to be repaid. The Pell Grant helps qualified students with financial need to meet their educational expenses. This grant is available only to undergraduate students who have not completed a bachelor’s degree, or used more than 6 full-time equivalent years of the Pell Grant. In addition, a student must be enrolled full-time, (10 credit hours each quarter), to receive the maximum award.  

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)

The FSEOG is a federal grant program for undergraduate students with exceptional financial need. FSEOG funds are limited, and Pell Grant recipients are accorded priority. This grant does not need to be repaid.

Federal Stafford Loans (Subsidized and Unsubsidized)

The Federal Direct Loan programs offer federally guaranteed educational loans for students whose cost of attendance cannot be met by other financial aid programs. Unsubsidized loans are available to eligible students regardless of income level. Students must maintain at least half-time enrollment to receive federal loans. Repayment on the principle of the loans is deferred while the student remains in school on at least a half-time basis (see Deferment of Student Loans section for more information). The Subsidized Federal Loan does not accrue interest during deferment periods. The program’s loan limits are:

$3,500 a year for first-year undergraduates.

$4,500 a year for second-year undergraduates who have at least 45 credits.

$5,500 a year for undergraduate students who have earned at least 90 credits.

Additional unsubsidized federal loans may be available for maximum amounts of:

$2,000 a year for undergraduate dependent students, or

$5,500 a year for first-year undergraduate independent students, or

$6,500 a year for second-year undergraduate independent students, or

$7,500 a year for undergraduate independent students who have earned at least 90 credits, or

$20,500 a year for graduate and doctoral students.

These limits are subject to change by the U.S. Department of Education. Students receiving financial aid may have the amount of their loans limited to meet federal guidelines. An origination fee may be deducted from the loan. Students are limited by an aggregate limit based on their academic career.

The PLUS / Grad PLUS Loan Program

The PLUS Program makes guaranteed loans available to the parents of dependent undergraduate students, and students pursuing a graduate or doctoral degree. Students or parents should contact the Financial Aid Office for details on PLUS loans.

Federal Work-Study Programs (FWS)

Students who have financial need and who wish to earn part of their educational expenses through salaried or hourly employment may qualify for the Federal Work-Study program. Salaries will be based on the prevailing minimum wage, but also may be related to the type of work and any special skill required. Work-study funds are limited.

Washington State Need Grant (SNG)

The State Need Grant (SNG) is a Washington State grant program for undergraduate students with exceptional financial need, and are residents of the State of Washington. This grant does not need to be repaid. Funds are limited and are awarded to students based on information calculated from the student’s FAFSA application. DACA and Dreamer students who are Washington State residents may contact the Washington Student Achievement Council to complete the WASFA form for consideration.

Financial Aid Application Procedure

  1. Apply for admission to City University of Seattle as a degree seeking student. Financial aid will be awarded after students are formally admitted into an eligible degree or program of study.
  2. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), indicating City University of Seattle in the College Release Section (013022-school code). Students do not need to be formally admitted to submit the FAFSA application.
  3. The Financial Aid Office reviews FAFSA data. This information contains the necessary information to determine eligibility for the various federal financial aid programs. Upon receiving the calculated FAFSA data City University of Seattle will notify students who may need to provide documentation in order to set-up a financial aid offer.
  4. Students are notified of their eligibility with a Financial Aid Offer Notification. Students must complete the offer notification process by either accepting or rejecting the funds offered. Unaccepted offers are subject to cancellation.

Students must reapply for financial aid each academic year. The financial aid process depends on the accuracy of the student’s completed financial aid forms. Prompt return of requested documents expedites the process. Students should contact the Financial Aid Office if they have any questions.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

To be eligible for financial aid, students must comply with the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy available from the Financial Aid Office. Satisfactory progress includes maintaining minimum GPA requirements, successfully completing courses, and completing all degree requirements in a timely manner.

Refund and Repayment

Students receiving financial assistance and who withdraw from all courses in a term are subject to the return of the Title IV aid refund policies dictated by federal guidelines. Dropping courses may affect students’ current and future eligibility for financial aid. Students who withdraw from all courses prior to attending more than 60% of an enrollment term will have their eligibility for aid recalculated based upon the percent of the quarter attended. Refunds are distributed to the Federal Financial Aid programs based on calculations prescribed by the Department of Education. If funds remain available after all refunds to federal aid programs are made a credit may be issued to the student. The student may be asked to return financial aid funds in cases where the student drops courses, withdraws from courses, or vanishes from courses.

Deferment of Student Loans

Student loans may be placed in a deferment status when the student is enrolled at least half-time in a program of study. During a deferment period, the student is not responsible for making regular payments toward the repayment of their student loan. Students should contact their loan servicer(s) to obtain information on rights and requirements for deferment of their prior student loans. It is the student’s responsibility to keep their loan servicer(s) informed of any change in their status. Requests for deferment due to enrollment at City University of Seattle should be directed to the Office of the Registrar.