2019-2020 Catalog

U.S. Veteran and Military Student Assistance – Veterans

The City University of Seattle Veterans Affairs Office assists veterans, active duty military personnel, students who are in the United States Armed Services reserves, and eligible spouses and dependents with the process of identifying and receiving military education benefits. Federal guidelines with regard to educational benefits are also obtainable through an education advisor at the appropriate military station branch or the Veterans Administration Regional Office.

Selected programs of study at City University of Seattle are approved by the Workforce Training and Education Coordinating Board’s State Approving Agency (WTECB/SAA) for enrollment of those eligible to receive benefits under Title 38 and Title 10, USC.

City University of Seattle does not and will not provide any commission, bonus, or other incentive payment based directly or indirectly on success in securing enrollment or financial aid to any persons or entities engaged in any student recruiting or admissions activities or in making decisions regarding the award of student financial assistance.

Veterans Eligibility

Eligibility for educational benefits to veterans and their spouses and dependents is determined by the Veterans Administration Regional Office which may be contacted directly, as follows:

VA Regional Office

P.O. Box 8888

Muskogee, OK 74402-8888



The City University of Seattle Veterans Affairs Office provides specific information about the types of available educational assistance that are available.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Students receiving veterans’ educational benefits are required to maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined in the “Academic Policies” section of this catalog and per federal regulations. Federal regulations require the University to notify the VA Regional Office whenever a student who is receiving benefits: (1) withdraws from a course; (2) receives a grade status marking that does not constitute credit earned; or (3) in the event a student receiving benefits is suspended for academic or disciplinary reasons.

Change in Veterans or Military Status

All changes in status, for example, address, phone, email, separation, demobilization or retirement, course withdrawals, dropping or adding courses, course format changes (i.e. online, mixed-mode, in-class, etc.), concurrent enrollment, and other applicable changes must be reported to the VA Regional Office in a timely manner. To assist in keeping records accurate and, in some cases, help to avoid or minimize the possibility of causing a debt owed with the VA, all changes should be reported immediately to the City University of Seattle Veterans Affairs Office.

Application for Veterans Benefits

Veterans and eligible spouses and dependents who elect to receive education benefits must notify the City University of Seattle Veterans Affairs Office each time they register for a course.

Educational benefit payment checks are distributed subsequent to review of the certification document submitted by the University to the VA Regional Office.

Canadian Veterans

Canadian veterans or eligible dependents who wish to obtain assistance should consult the local office of the Canadian Department of Veterans Affairs.

U.S. Military (Active Duty, Reserve, and National Guard) Military Tuition Assistance Program

Tuition Assistance (TA) is a Department of Defense program and is not administered or monitored by the VA. Tuition Assistance rules vary by branch of service and can even vary between different units within the same branch of service depending on whether the unit is active, reserve, or National Guard. Additionally, active duty  members may elect to use the MGIB "Top-Up" in addition to TA to help cover additional costs.

Other Foreign Veterans

Foreign veterans or eligible dependents who wish to obtain assistance should consult their appropriate governmental agencies.