2019-2020 Catalog

Admission Requirements Specific to Graduate Programs in the School of Arts and Sciences (SAS)

Master of Arts Counseling – USA

The following are additional requirements for admission for Master of Arts Counseling Clinical Mental Health Counseling or Marriage, Couples, Family Counseling programs:

  • A cumulative GPA of at least 2.75 in undergraduate degree program.
  • Three (3) confidential letters of professional reference.
  • A writing sample defining professional goals and addressing past and current experience relevant to becoming a counselor. Guidelines for writing the sample paper will be sent from the academic advising office. The writing sample will be used to determine whether minimum qualifications have been met for admission to the program.
  • CV/resume.
  • Completed, signed background information form, with a history free of convictions for criminal misdemeanors and felonies. Applicants who have such a history may be denied a professional credential at the state level (see RCW 18.130 for US program). The background information form must be submitted prior to the interview process.
  • Interview with the program director/coordinator or designee. The interview will be used to determine whether minimum qualifications have been met for admission to the program.


Admission for all Master in Master of Education Professional School Counseling program:

  1. Students must have earned a bachelor degree with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 or a masters or doctoral degree with a cumulative GPA of 3.0.
  2. A hard copy front and back of a valid teaching or ESA certification;
  3. Completed “Verification of Prerequisite Teaching or ESA Experience” form;
  4. Provide a resume outlining professional history and education;
  5. Provide responses to the 9 questions listed on the “Educational Leadership Program: Writing Assessment” form.
  6. Provide three (3) references with name, position/title, school/ district/organization, email address and daytime phone numbers for the following:
  • Current supervisor (administrator who will serve as your mentor)
  • District or executive level administrator
  • Personal reference

Graduate Certificate - Chemical Dependency Counseling

This program is restricted to students who have a Master's level degree in counseling or a related field.

Exceptions to this policy may be made by the school dean.