2020-2021 Catalog

Student Grievances

In accordance with USDE regulation 602.16(a)(1)(ix), the University will make available an account of student complaints it receives, the processing of those complaints, and resolution of those complaints in alignment with institutional policy and procedures. This complaint policy is not a substitute for the more specific University policies and procedures related to Students Rights and Responsibilities or Academics found in the General Catalog: Policy on Equal Opportunity/Nondiscrimination in Education; Policy on Prohibition of Sexual Harassment and Sexual Violence; Reasonable Accommodation of Students with Disabilities; Student Code of Conduct; Scholastic Honesty Policy; Grade Appeals Policy; or Ethics Policy.

A formal complaint is a complaint directed to a senior administrative representative of City University of Seattle regarding the institution and/or its operation that a student desires to have formally resolved. Senior administrative representatives are the President, the Provost, the VP of Student Services, the VP of Enrollment/Marketing, the Director of Human Resources, and/or the Director of Finance. Formal complaints must be in writing and signed by the student. Formal complaints may be mailed to the University’s main campus or may be sent electronically from the student’s official City University of Seattle email account.

While formal complaints may be submitted to any senior representative, the University recommends complaints are submitted as follows:

  • Complaints related to quality of education or other accreditation requirements may be filed with the Provost.
  • Complaints related to financial matters may be filled with the Director of Finance.
  • All other complaints be filed with the Vice President of Student Services.

Formal complaints will be reviewed by the appropriate department and the student will be notified in writing of the institution’s response to the complaint.

If student has fully utilized all internal procedures to address their complaint, and believes that the process has not adequately resolved the complaint, the student may contact the following external organizations:

  • Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC) which has authority to investigate complaints against specific schools. WSAC may not be able to investigate every student complaint.
  • Non-Washington residents taking online courses who have complaints that have not been resolved through University internal procedures may contact the appropriate agency in their home state regarding their complaint.

(Policy #2300.15 and 2300.17)